Sunday, May 23, 2010

Daddy's Little Girl

I cannot believe the dreaded May 24th is back. Well, I know it's not here quite yet, but I know tomorrow I'll be a mess so I'll just do this now.

Every year around this time I think a lot about my dad and how weird it is to not have him here. This year has been especially hard though. It was hard graduating college without
him there, getting married without him there, fixing our busted sprinkler line (he would've been SO proud of me). But none of that has been as hard as having my own little girl without him here. He would've loved her so much.

I know it sounds corny, but the minute I saw Braelynn for the 1st time, I knew my dad hand-picked her just for me.

Braelynn and I are so lucky to be able to have Kent home with us. I know sometimes (ok, most of the time) I take it for granted. When people find out, they say, "oh you are so lucky!" And I reply tongue-in-cheek, "yeah, but he's home ALL the time."

Yesterday though, he was gone all day. In the afternoon Braelynn raced all the way from the living room straight to the office, sat by his desk, and stared up at his chair. When I told her he wasn't home she gave me this look of "well...where is he?"















At that moment my heart broke. The only life she knows is that her mama AND dada are home with her. Anytime she wants to play with dada, she can. I learned my lesson and am truly so grateful that he's home ALL day :)


I miss my dad. I hope that Braelynn is just as close with Kent and that he will always be here to play with her.

2 comments:

McCooks said...

man Carly, you were one cute little girl! I can't imagine what you had to go through. So grateful for the gospel and to know we can see family again. BTW your daughter is soooo cute!

Lanae said...

I'm all teared-up. I wish that your dad could be there to see what great parents both of you are; I'm sure he'd be so proud. You guys are both such wonderful parents and I'm so glad we were able to spend some time with you a few weeks ago.
I can't wait to see you guys again in a few weeks. Love you all so much.